Monday, August 28, 2017

Brick and Mortar....Why I Love Them

While Arttie and I were on our last road trip, we started talking about brick and mortar stores.  
We were on our way to the Stitching Bee along with other stops.  
She had done some yarn shopping at the local yarn store the day before.  
We have a mutual friend who took a class there and brought yarn she had not gotten from the shop.  
The owner called her on it and ever since then, she avoids going there at all costs. 
Most shop owners offer classes very inexpensively to encourage you to shop their store. 
I get that.
You need to support your local shops otherwise they can't make it.  
I want the shop experience.  
It is part of why I stitch and knit.
I destination shop too.  
I love the different personality of each shop.  
When I go to my local yarn shop, its like walking into home.
It always smells good, you are greeted like a long lost family member, there's comfy chairs, nice music, chocolate on the table and then the yarn experience.  
I love to page through the books and feel the yarn.  
I do order on line mostly to get things I can't get easily:  large pieces of fabric or floss that I can't get at the Bee.  
It isn't just about making the project, its about the whole experience of seeing things I haven't seen before and fall in love with.  

Speaking of fall.  
I finished the first Autumn Sampler from Prairie Schooler
I have been lax about stitching my initials into completed pieces.  
I decided, I really need to start doing that again.  
I think I will work on some Christmas presents for a little while but, will start another postable project.  

I'm on stay-cation this week supervising the Purgathon.
With both kids back home for a while, it is time to purge old clothes, toys and books.
We started books last week and I took nine grocery bags full of books to St. Vinny's and the local hospital for the book cart.
One bag of obsolete books and two bags of magazines went to the local sheltered work shop for recycling.  
We have lots more to do!

Finally, since yesterday was National Dog Day, here are some of my favorite snoozey dogs.  
Henry went for a walk in the woods on Saturday and got nailed by burrs.  
So he looks particularly scruffy.  
I think Buster is getting too old for Henry's shenanigans.
I think he's nine and it is getting to be too much for him.  
He is starting to spend more time hiding under beds that Henry can't reach.  
Tomorrow is doctor appointments, dentist, eye doctor and consult with the cardiologist for the heart palpitations.  

Have a great week!
I am going to get some stitching done this week.  
I just have to bulldog the kids around.
Keep on Stitching
Monica

6 comments:

  1. Monica, your PS finish looks super -- great fall design and colors. Cute snapshots of Buster and Henry! Hope all the appointments go well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say that I enjoyed reading your take on brick and mortar shops. Well said!

      Delete
  2. I too like the B&M shops.
    It's something about being able to see and touch the beautiful fabrics and charts. :)
    All have closed in this area. :(
    I hopefully be stopping at the Bee later this month on our way to Door County to stay a weekend with my nephew and his wife at their campgrounds.
    I'm making a list. lol
    Cute pic of the boys sleeping.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What cute doggie photos! I agree with you about the shops. I always look for a needlework shop when we travel. The Fall design is beautiful. With really no rain in over 50 days, I am so ready for summer to be gone!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such fun finding a new needlework store when you are travelling....sadly they seem to be harder and harder to find. Love the autumn sampler...great colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!! I'am glad to read the whole content of this blog and am very excited.Thank you.
    บอลพรุ่งนี้

    ReplyDelete