Sunday, May 5, 2013

Oh, Did I Need This

It has been a week!  Our daughter Katy has a genetic disorder called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.  Her body doesn't effectively produce collagen so she has painful, hypermobile joints.  Collagen is the glue that holds everything together in your body.  You can read more Here.  She really struggles but, it is amazing her fortitude.  It has been a really rough week/month.  The hardest thing about being a parent with a chronically ill/child in pain is what to say when they are so very miserable.  There really is very little that can be done with this disorder other than pallative care.  She really gets no relief from pain medication.  We have gotten lots of braces and splints.  She goes to Physical therapy to tweek exercises to keep her muscles strong and in tone to hold her joints together since the ligaments aren't capable.  The latest was she has been having skin problems where she had some blood seeping through a stretch mark.  We are thinking a Pain Clinic maybe the next route.  We have been to the Mayo Clinic without great success.  The stupid weather hasn't helped.

So when I got a email from Vicki at Three Bags Full Blog (who had also sponsored Grow Your Blog) letting me know I had won one of the Vera Bradley Bags, I was esctatic!  You can see the original post here -

Vera Grateful Giveaway from Vicki at Three Bags Full   This really couldn't have come at a better time.

I have been working on the LHN Virtues and this is the latest one.  I do believe I will send this to Katy in her final exam box from home.  I think it is appropriate.  She'll think I'm nuts.  I did do the sheep in the Wisper thread the white and the brown head.   I'll fluff him up with a bunco brush when I'm done.


I wish you could see how fuzzy the sheep is.  Sorry the pictures aren't exactly straight. 
 Guess I'm just cock eyed.  
Then at Mass today, Fr. Joe said that according to Cardinal Dolan "Be Not Afraid" is mentioned in the Bible 365 times.  I think the cosmic powers of the universe are converging.

Some snaps of the local dams.  This one is the Ford Dam.  Ford's Woodland Division was here.  This is where they made the wood panels for the Woody Station wagon in the 1940's and during the war they made gliders for the Army.  Kingsford Charcoal was an off shoot, a way to sell the byproducts.  Trivia for the day.   My husband has been on the inside of the building and said it is very Art Deco.

This is Hydrolic Dam further downstream.  It is a much bigger dam and really running water.  
Finally, my mom's 86th Birthday is May 8th.  She is having her kitchen, back hall and adjoining bathroom re-tiled.  Her oven is in the living room so she can't cook.  I had her and my MIL over for dinner tonight.  My Mom decided that was good, it could be for her birthday.  I had to scramble and get a present.  She is very difficult to shop for, "I don't need anything."  I got my MIL a subscription to People (that thing is expensive!)  So, I had to get my Mom something nice.  I went to a little gift/home decorating store and got this done.  They are silk so it shouldn't flair any of her many allergies.  LOL.  I told her if she didn't like it, she could give it back to me for my birthday.
Hope you had a great weekend.  I still can't believe I won a Vera Bradley Tote.  I love VB and I am so grateful to Vicki because I really needed a lovely surprise like that.  

Thank you for all the wonderful comments.  You are all so wonderful.  I'm so glad you take the time to send me a little note.  
Have a great week!
Keep on Stitching
Monica

3 comments:

  1. Monica -- I am so glad that this little win has come at a time in your life when you needed a little uplift--- we all need a little cheer from time to time. I will be keeping your daughter in my prayers. Having a sick child must be so all consuming for you -- and emotionally exhausting as well. Bless your heart.

    Can you please send me your mailing address? If you did send it earlier -- I did not get it. Your package is ready to mail to you!

    Love,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is so difficult to see someone we love in so much pain--makes me feel very helpless. Congratulations on the win--it came at a good time!

    Hope your Mother enjoys her new flooring. And if she does not like the floral arrangement you can send it to my house

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh ~ it is so hard to see our young ones hurt for a short time, let alone to live with something all the time. So glad you won one of the totes to help bring some cheer to you!! The sheep virtue is so cute ~ and perfect for your daughter!

    ReplyDelete