Monday, June 4, 2012

Tortoise Update and General Stuff

I am nearly finished with the Tortoise and the Hare.  I have had to do a little more frogging than usual but, I am blaming it on the pain medication.  I only took a half of one prior to therapy today.  That story will follow.   Back to the topic at hand, so initially I did the slow & steady wins the race in the pink color.  I didn't realize it was the wrong color until I was all done with the lettering.  It was a whole night's work.  I have a few more days work left on it.  I will iron it when I'm done.  
 I even had stitching group at my house last week.  Bob just pushed a recliner to the dining room table and my Ott light and I was good to go.  We did have some issues.  I was going to have my daughter bake a cake but, when it came time to turn on the oven it was a no go.  Fortunately, it only needed to be reset.  I really kind of like that has dials and not a computerized controls.  I figured when I bought it, it was less to go wrong.

Stuff is starting to bloom in the garden.  I would take more pictures but, it is still a little tricky getting around and my knee swells if I do too much.  Here is the first poppy of the season.  I love poppies.  Too bad they don't last longer than they do.  The first time it bloomed a few years ago, it was only one flower.  I had moved the plant all over to find the right spot.  When it did finally bloom, I excitedly called everyone to see it.  As I was doing that, my big dog walked past it and just chomped the flower off.  I was a little miffed but, it was really funny.  I still miss that big dog.

Such a happy flower.  In the bottom left corner is a ground rose, and the two of them love being next to each other.  The rose has thrived in the shadow of the poppy.

And today was the first day of outpatient Physical Therapy.  I can completely straighten my knee and I have 87 degrees of flexion.  According to my therapist, I am on schedule.  I thought I was doing very well.  It is rather sore tonight so I doubt I will do much more than ice and maybe do a prolonged flexion stretch.  I did bring a treat.  I also work in this Rehab department.  I  was accused of bribing him to not inflict pain.  I made a rhubarb cake.  This is a very old recipe I got from my grandmother years ago.  It is by far the best rhubarb cake on the face of the earth.  Here is the recipe.

Rhubarb Cake
Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 pan
1/2 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 c. flour
1 c. buttermilk
2 c. peeled and chopped rhurbarb (1/4-1/2")

1/4 c. white sugar  and 2 tsp. cinnamon mixed together

Cream shortening and brown sugar.  Add egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.  Add the salt and baking soda, 1/2 the flour and 1/2 the buttermilk, beat in and then add the rest.  Beat well.  Fold in the rhubarb.  Spread into the greased pan.  Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar over the top.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

It is more like a coffee cake.  It is positively delish!  It only took me three hours to do it this morning.  I could only do a little at a time to give my knee a chance to recover.  The worst is sleeping at night because everytime you move, it hurts.  It is overall getting better.  At least I can stitch.

Thanks for stopping.  Keep on stitching.

1 comment:

  1. Your Tortoise & the Hare is looking fabulous!! I plan on trying your Rhubarb cake recipe out very soon. It sounds delicious.
    Happy Stitching