Sunday, June 24, 2012

July PS project update and Chocolate Chip Bars

I was going to start the post with the Prairie Schooler update but, since the pictures came up the way they did I will start with the Chocolate Chip Bars recipe.  I had gotten a Church Cook book when I got my first apartment from my college roommate.  It was a reprint from the original cook book published in 1947.  The recipes are all hand written and illustrated.  These are the best cook books since they are usually tried and true recipes .  I have made a few changes.  
                                          Chocolate Chip Bars              preheat oven to 350
1 cup of shortening (I use butter)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar.  
Cream butter and sugar together.  Add two egg yolks (save the whites).  Sift together 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking powder and 2 cups flour.  Combine with the creamed butter/sugar.  Spread into a greased 9x13 pan and pat down.  Spread over the top of the crust one 12 oz bag of semi sweet chocolate chips.  
Topping:  Make a meringue with the two egg whites beating with a mixer until stiff peaks a formed.  Add a pinch (yes a pinch) of baking powder and 1 cup of brown sugar.  Spread over the top of the chocolate chips.  Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.  Reduce the heat to 300 and bake another 25 minutes until the top is golden brown.  
Since my daughter is showing symptoms of gluten intolerance, I used gluten free flour to make these and they turned out really well.  This is one of my favorite bar recipes.   

 Katy took the bar pictures for me.  They really are yummy!  They sell out fast at bake sales.

Here are the updated pictures of Prairie Schooler July pictures.  It is going quite fast.  I have taken a brief break to work on the top secret Christmas present.  I should be back on track in an hour.

 Pardon the wrinkles and the shadows.  I tried to take the pictures where there was some good natural light.  I have about a quarter of it done all ready.
Kind of a humid, overcast day.  There is a good breeze blowing so it isn't too uncomfortable.  Good day to stitch but, is there ever a bad day to stitch?
Thanks for stopping.  Keep on stitching.

1 comment:

  1. Yowza, those chocolate chips bars look good...I just might put down the rocky road ice cream to make some *lol* You are FLYING through Prairie Schooler July, and it looks great. You will be finished in no time!

    ReplyDelete