Sunday, January 22, 2012

Socks and Coffee Cakes

I have the first sock done.  The pictures I have to admit aren't great.  I see some of the wonderful pictures on other blogs...I use Fujifilm camera.  It isn't anything fancy.  Maybe someday I will get a fancy camera.  Anyway, I digress.  The first sock is done and the kid is waiting for it.  I have started the twin but, I really need to cross stitch and I think I will be finishing the Mystery Sampler.  I don't usually have alot of WIP going at the same time.  I like to finish things.
 Then I made a coffee cake on saturday.  I saw this recipe on a Green Bay TV station.  Which called for two cans of Pillsbury biscuits.  That I thought is too much for me .  You make them in a Bundt pan.  That sent me on a search for a smaller Bundt pan that I found on Amazon cheaper than anywhere.  I didn't want to spend $30 on a cake pan.  I forgot to take a pic before we dug into it.  It turned out amazing.  Definately a keeper.

Orange Coffee Cake  (I halved it.  This is the full recipe.)
3/4 c. granulated sugar
4 tsp orange zest
2 cans (12 oz refrigerated buttermilk biscuits 8 oz pkg.  I used Grands.  I sent kids for the supplies)
cream cheese
1 stick melted butter
1 c. sifted confectioners sugar
1 Tbsp orange juice
1-2 Tbsp milk

Preheat the oven to 350  degrees.  In a small bowl, combine the granulated sugar and 3 tsp orange zest.  Separate the biscuits and flatten them slightly.  Place about a teaspoon of cream cheese in the center of each biscuit.  Fold each biscuit in half over the cream cheese, pressing the edges to seal.  Dip the biscuits in melted butter, then dredge in the granulated sugar mixture.  Place the biscuits in a a single layer in a lightly greased 12 cup bundt pan.  Drizzle any remaining butter over the biscuits, and sprinkle with any remaining sugar mixture.  Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown.  Immediately invert the cake onto a serving plattter.  Combine the confectioners sugar, orange juice and 1 Tbsp milk and remaining 1 tsp orange zest stirring well.  If too thick, add more milk.  Drizzle the glaze over the warm cake.  Serve warm.

I did do one variation.  I sprinkled some cinnamon sugar mixture over the cream cheese, not very much because I thought it would jazz up the cream cheese.  I thought that was an excellent addition.

Oh my gosh.  I always preview to proof read and the table runner looks stunning.  It is one of my favorites.  My mom made it years ago for me.  I use it in January.
Keep on stitching.

No comments:

Post a Comment