Sunday, June 23, 2013

Rhubarb Mania

My rhubarb has not produced well this year.  I think I have more than lamented about that.  I got a huge bag from my Aunt Helen.  I have made two pies, a batch of Rhubarb Strawberry jam and froze 6 cups of chopped rhubarb.  I chopped 20 cups today.  My sister is visiting from Florida and she loves rhubarb pie so, she got one.  I must say I do cheat.  I usually buy the Pillsbury crusts.  When my mother and my aunt ask, I always tell them "of course its homemade."  What they don't know....They can't get over how good my crust is.  My aunt makes major amounts of apple pies in the fall.  I think the record was 70.  Then she freezes them.

The jam recipe can be found HERE.  There ought to be a law against how easy this is.  You chop up 7-8 cups of rhubarb one inch pieces.  This is how mine looked after I let is sit for an hour and a half.
 Once it was cooked.  It is really tasty!
 Getting it into the containers.  I am telling you, it is way too easy!
 It made 8 cups of jam, or so.  I have 1 cup ziploc containers and stuck it in the freezer.  I anticipate it will be gone in now time.  I may have to freeze more rhubarb and make some more at Christmas time.
I made Katy a gluten free Rhubarb pie.  The crust really was quite easy.  I could mix it in my Kitchen Aide which really did make it easy.  I doubled the crust recipe to make a two crust pie.  It has the GF flour, two eggs 12 tbsp butter, lemon juice, sugar and salt.  I kind of was using two recipes.  I refrigerated it for a couple of hours but, I don't think I need to do that.  I think it actually would have been better had I not done that.  

You roll the crust between wax paper.  The crust is a little delicate.  It cracked around the edge while rolling it.   
 It was also a little fragile when moving the crust.  We had a little glitch putting the top on.  I should have folded it on itsself and I don't think I would have had that problem.  It really did turn out pretty good.  It is tasty enough that I will make this crust as long as Katy is home.  It is just a tad gritty but, very tasty and flaky.  After I had baked it for a while, I covered the edges with aluminum foil so it wouldn't burn around the edge.
Lastest Garden Update:  
My wild roses are starting to bloom.  I love these roses.  Once they start really blooming they are a riot!  I have been out watering and people walking always comment and want to know what they are.  They are also very aromatic.  After a while that get a  rather large green bug, not an aphid....more beatley-looking (if that is a word.)  There are a lot and are into bug-lovin'.  Sometimes I spray them, not so much anymore because they really don't do that much damage.  

 This isn't a very good picture.  If course I'm not sure what they are.  I really do love blue flowers.  I use to have some delphinium but, they have died off.  At the other end of the bed is another blue flower I think is Campanula
 My peonies in the front of the house are about readdy.  I think that you just can't have enough flowers.  I wish I had room for more but, the husband doesn't want beds in the middle of the yard.  I personally think that looks very cool.

Finally, I have a picture of the latest project:  Grande Olde Flag Sampler by Chessie and Me.  I nearly have the house done.  I'm doing it on 40 count.  I swapped out the Belle Soie and Gloriana silks for overdyes.  I think it will turn out quite well.  I am using Weeks Aztec Red, Cognac, Charcoal, Guacamole, Moss, Navy and Whitewash and GAST Cornflower and Soot.  It seems to be a good match.
Thank you so much for the fun and wonderful comments.  I just love getting them.
Hope you had an awesome weekend.  I certainly did but, as always, it was way too short.  I walk into Monday saying, "I could have used another day."  I could have a seven day weekend and it would still be too short.

Very busy week ahead.  I'm wishing my life away and looking forward to next weekend.
Thanks for stopping.
Keep on Stitching
Monica

2 comments: