Thursday, July 31, 2014

I Can Finally Show You.....

I can finally show you the finished birthday present for my sister.  I did post it on the Prim Stitcher's Society.   The top was Blackbird Designs Sisters.  I picked up the fabric at the quilt store and is a reproduction Civil War print.  I bought about two yards knowing I wasn't going to use it all but, just liked it and wanted it in my finishing stash.
 A better view of the fabric.  It is just gorgeous material.  I should be able to use it for a lot of finishes.
 The lining put together but, not in the basket yet.  I did have to sew up the final seam.
 I used tacky board for the top.  Bob cut the cardboard for me.  I had my rotary cutter out to cut the fabric.  He was nearly don cutting the board when he asked me how to keep the blade of the cutter out.  I had given him a utility knife but, used my rotary cutter on part of the board and broke it.  :(  OI
 I hand stitched the piece on top of the fabric for that more "prim" look
The picnic basket I got at an Antique mall in La Crosse.  I figured this would make an awesome stitching basket for my sister.  She likes to do needlepoint.  She quilts and does a little cross stitch.  Mostly, tho she needlepoints.


 The basket with the stitching on it.  I glued on the top with hot glue and only burned one finger but, it was a humdinger.
 A little different angle. 
 The inside of the basket with the lining.  I hot glued the edge around the top and a little at the bottom. 
It pretty much was an all afternoon project.  It was a rainy afternoon so, it was a good way to spend it.

Lots of company lately.  Last weekend my sister and her family were at my mom's.  Saturday night, my husband's brother and his family arrived from Atlanta.  Their kids are staying at our house since my MIL's is only two bedrooms.  It has been busy.  Katy has been home this week, which has been good since she has been tour guide.  Ed came Sunday and stayed until after dinner on Monday.  Monday, the boys (except Ed) golfed.  Ed, Katy, my SIL and niece went whitewater rafting.  They had a blast.

With all the activity, I haven't had much time stitching or posting.

Hope your week has been going well.  Thanks for stopping and the wonderful comments.
Keep on Stitching
Monica

8 comments:

  1. Awesome! Perfect stitches and perfect gift! Now you have me on the lookout for a picnic basket! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous gift you created for you sister! Hope the glue gun burn is feeling better!

    Robin in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turned out just wonderful! The perfect gift for a stitcher. The fabric is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She will squeal with joy!!! Such a beautiful endearing gift~ I love the complimentary fabric selection and you were wise to purchase extra... You will find many uses for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that's beautiful. Your sister will be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Get you!! Can I be your sister too please? Amazingly, wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete