Sunday, September 25, 2011

Cooking this Weekend

We had company this weekend and I made one of my favorite breakfast dishes.  I get a lot of recipes from http://www.allrecipes.com/.  The one this morning was:

Make Ahead French Toast
6 servings
Ingredients:                                                              
5 eggs lightly beaten                                                     
1 1/2c. milk  (I use 1 c.)                                              
1 c. half and half                                                           
1 tsp vanilla extract                                                      
1/2 (1#) French bread, cut diagnonally in 1" slice

Topping:
1/2 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1 c. chopped pecans

The night before:  Beat together the eggs, milk, half and half and vanilla in a bowl.  Slice the french bread into one inch slices.  Dip in the egg mixture and arrange in a greased 9x13 pan.  (I make sure it is all snug and fill in the gaps with partial pieces).  Cover and refrigerate

The next morning:  Preheat oven to 350.  Melt butter, add brown sugar and maple syrup.  Still well and add the pecans.  Spread over the top of the bread and bake for 40 minutes until golden brown.  Let set 5 minutes before cutting.  (Everyone who has ever tasted this wants the recipe!).  This is what was left. 

Then I made granola today.  Again the recipe sort of came from allrecipes.com but, I altered it. 

Granola
Preheat oven to 300
Ingredients: 
4c. rolled oats
1 c. wheat germ
1/2 c. flax seed meal
1/2 c. brown sugar
Here's where I deviated:  sunflower seed mix with nuts and raisins but, I took the raisins out for later
1/4 c. pecans
1/4 c. almonds
1 tsp cinnamon  Mix all these together in a large bowl
Whisk together:  1/3 c. canola oil
                          1/4 c. honey
                          1 tsp vanilla
                          1/2 c. cold water.
Pour over the dry ingredients and mix very well.  Spread in 9x13 pan and bake for one hour, mixing every 20 minutes. 
(I deviated again)
Cool and mix in 1 c. raisins and 1/2 c. craisins
 They both turned out really well.  Like I said I love http://www.allrecipes.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment