Thursday, September 29, 2011

Bear Bolognese.....Amazing

Bob shot a nice 190# bear during Bear season.  We got the meat back and he did a beautiful job processing it.  I took the leap and made my first Bear dish...Bear Bolognese.  Of course I change things. 
The kitchen prior to starting:
 I started with Giada DeLaurentis maranara sauce.  I won't copy it since there could be a problem with copywrite.  Surfice it to say there is 2 gloves of garlic, I used one large onion, 2 celery stalks, 2 carrots all finely diced, 2 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes and one can of tomato sauce since the recipe called for 32 oz cans, salt, pepper and 2 bay leafs.  Pictures of the veggies sauteing.   (I think there are spelling errors-sorry)
 Adding the tomatoes and the bay leafs
 Simmer for one hour.  I use the splatter screen to keep it from getting all over the stove top.  Notice I didn't get there in time. 

Browning the one pound ground bear meat with salt and pepper.  It was absolutely beautiful, lean meat.  There was barely any fat after browning it. 

 All cooked up and ready to mix with some of the sauce.  I used about half and froze the other half.  I tried it after it was browned but, the intrepid hunter was afraid to. 
 I mixed the meat with half the sauce, deglazed the pan with sherry, added that to the slow cookeer.  I also added 4 tbsp of fresh basil.  I love basil.  Cooked it in the slow cooker on high for 5 hours.

And the end result on linguine.  It was amazing.  I wasn't sure how it would turn out.  The back up plan was to go out.  Glad we didn't have to since it is raining and blowing.  People in Florida would call this a hurricane. 
I'm not sure what I will try next.  I would definately make this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment