Thursday, October 8, 2020

Adventuring and A Skunk

Just trying to catch up.  
My mother in law is 91 and gradually failing.  
Bob's brother has been trying to come and see her since April but, rescheduling because of Covid.  
He and his wife decided to come now because, well, you know.  
We just got the news yesterday, the first employee has tested positive.  
It was nice to have them come.
They got to see Ann at a window and used telephones.  
Sometimes I'm not so good with birthdays I stitched a Little House Needleworks piece and finished it off as a little tuck pillow she can place in a bowl of gourds or other fallish decor.  
Steve works for Sulky and sent me a large set of the floss so I used that to stitch the piece.  
I love how it turned out.  
Since they couldn't spend a lot of time with Ann, and she doesn't really converse much, we had some free time.  We went to an apple orchard and picked up apples, cinnamon rolls and an apple pie.  I had just recently heard about a winery about 30 minutes from here.  We decided to check it out.  
What a little gem!!  Its an estate winery meaning they grow the grapes they use for their wines.  Again another cloudy weekend but, no rain.  
We tasted some reds and whites.  I generally prefer whites especially chardonnay.  But, I preferred their reds.  After the tasting I had a glass of red.  Cinnamon rolls go well with red wine. 
Smitty, the winery dog.  He is a Spinone Italiano.  He had the biggest feet and was just a lover.

They were harvesting the St. Pepin's the following day.  We did snitch a grape to try.  They were so good!  I have never tried a wine grape.  The reds had already been harvested but, there were still some on the vines so got to try one of those too.  
The trees around the vines were starting to change too, closer to Lake Michigan so the temperatures tend to be more temperate than where the trout stream is.  
Some milk weed.  Not all the acreage is growing grapes.  The winery is for sale since the owner is having health issues.  I hope someone buys it.  
Wondering what this is.  Have never seen this.  
It was warm enough to bring our wine outside, eat the cinnamon rolls and talk to Smitty.  

It was a really pleasant afternoon.  Headed home with a few bottles to drink that night. 
The night before they came, I let the dogs outside.  Bob had gone to the pharmacy.  I went out to move a plant under the eaves to try and keep it safe from frost that was expected.  When I got out, I could smell a skunk.  Checked out Buster and he was good.  Henry on the other hand, not so good.  And what to do.  I couldn't leave him in the backyard since I didn't know where the skunk was and I couldn't put him the garage since Bob was going to be home shortly.  I stuck him in the laundry room and got the supplies together to clean up Henry.  I don't think he took a full hit.  I think the skunk was on the otherside of the fence but, he was still really stinky.  We got him cleaned up with hydrogren peroxide and Dawn (forgot the baking powder).  Now, my right  hamstring is flared up from bending over to spray the carpets....several times....since he rubbed his head on the carpet.  Its the enzymatic cleaner for dog accidents.  Boy was this an accident.  All is good now.  Bob put up a motion detector light to hopefully scare the rascally skunks away.  

 Whew!  All caught up now.  

Keep on Stitching!
Masks, hand sanitize, and six feet or more!
Monica

3 comments:

  1. Pretty little finish.
    The Winery looks like fun.
    Poor Henry!
    Have a great weekend!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Henry Ford! Love your Autumn finish; love the colors! It looks like you had a great adventure at the winery. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a very good visit with family. That winery sounded like fun. Too bad about Henry! I remember when my family's dog got it from a skunk! Lot's of trouble!!

    ReplyDelete