Sunday, March 1, 2020

Leap Year Day Start

I thought would work on Sarah Braizear for a week.  I wanted to finish that section to the right.  I have a lot of satin stitching to do at the end.  There are also all kids of little leaves in the dark brown I may also have to put in the spots.  I am not too concerned about getting those exactly right because to be honest with you, things may not be perfectly spaced to begin with.  There are a lot of places I have fudged it. Don't get me started on a few motifs I missed on His Eye is On the Sparrow, that I didn't notice until it was framed!  That was a holy crap moment. 
I finished the section yesterday.  I have the bottom third left to do and all the satin stitching around the border.  I have a system for the satin stitching that will help with coverage, keep the thread from warping and isn't too thick.  I'm doing this on 40 count.  I tried double thread for coverage but, thought it was way too thick.  A single thread isn't right.  I experimented with doing a tent stitch then a satin stitch over it.  I think it worked really well.  The satin stitch doesn't seem to move around or warp the fabric.  I will probably see how it works on the border.  I must say she is looking really good.  
Last weekend, when I went to the Stitching Bee I picked up Quaker Sewing Tray and the threads.  I started that yesterday evening.  I also got a tray to put it in when I'm done.  I'm using the called for thread and stitching on 36 count Lakeside Examplar one thread over two. 
I started sanding the tray.  It was painted white, felt like chalk paint.  I think Brenda Gervais' finishing instructions recommended painting it white first then red.  I will finish it finally with Briwax.  I am really excited about this.  I plan on using it next to my stitching chair to keep my Ort jar, extra supplies, dololly and scissors. 

It was a beautiful weekend here.  We went to Pet Supply with Buster to test drive harnesses.  We got him a new one.  He is hard to walk, pulls and chokes himself.  Then we took him to see Grandma.  He got lots of pets from the old people hanging out.  He is really good with people.  Henry not so much.  Henry is too nervous and can get a little nippy.  He can't be trusted.  Buster on the other hand would be a great therapy dog.  He is very chill. 

I did join the Victorian Motto Sampler fabric club, at least for a little while.  I signed up for 40 count but, may change it periodically, get some 46 and 36 count.  She will let you do  that.  You can cancell at any time with notice.  I'm looking forward to it.  I will try it for a few months.  I can always use fabric. 

Hope you had a good weekend.  Remember good hand hygiene wash for 20 seconds is the best defense for these viruses.  Hand santizer should work too. 

Keep on Stitching
Monica


4 comments:

  1. Sarah is looking great.
    Love that Quaker tray, It's in my "to do" pile! lol
    Have a great week!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounded like you had a wonderful weekend, Monica! Sarah is looking good and you made a nice start on the Quaker tray piece! Happy March!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah is coming along beautifully! What a great idea for the satin stitches. I belonged to Victorian Motto's floss club for a few months and her floss is beautiful and you get a lot on a card. It's well worth it. She's great to work with if you need to change something. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah is beautiful!!You are brave with those small counts! I bet the old folks loved Buster. Here in WA we are washing our hands like mad!! In church they are questioning giving hand shakes as a sign of the peace.

    ReplyDelete