Sunday, June 23, 2019

Part Three: The Unicorn

The Wedding was Friday night and we got there on Thursday.  We had all day Friday to do what we wanted.  I think Bob maybe felt a little guilty about the Outing Club so, we did craft shopping.  I had done some research online to find brick and mortar shops.  Can't remember what FB site its on.  From where we were there was a shop in Grand Rapids but, couldn't find too much about it.  The next nearest was in Plainwell, outside of Kalamazoo called Stitching Bits and Bobs.  It was a very nice shop....lots of thread and things for finishing,  

They had an amazing amount of silks:  NPI, Au Ver a Soie d'alger,  overdyes and all the other cotton floss available. 


All kinds of doo dads:  needle minders, scissors, and other little stitchy tools.
It was here I found my Unicorn!!!
I have spent some other posts talking about looking for the tray to finish this piece.  
I figured "what the heck, I should look.  Chances they won't have it."
I first saw this pattern on the  Attic Newsletter and ordered the tray at the same time.  
I waited and waited for two months and called them again.  
I had to re-order it and the tray again.  
I eventually got the pattern but, not the tray.  
I was told that it took along time to get the tray....that was eight-nine months ago.  
I have given up. 
I ordered a pattern from them before market....GiGi R Mary Knowles 1824 sampler....haven't seen that one either.  
Giving up on the Attic but, I digress.....
I FOUND THE TRAY AT STITCHING BITS AND BOBS!!!! 
Haven't seen this Brenda Gervais design of Adam and Eve.  I love A and E designs.
Decided to jump in to the world of silks....may regret this but, converted it into silks.  
Got an overdyed silk with several of the colors I converted to do the border.  
So excited about this.  
Got the little shaker box, its about 3-4 inches long perfect to set a little design and was only $10!!
I had the Eliza Mitchell and brought some designs with me that I thought I might like to try in silk.  
I got the called for NPI silks, they were missing a two colors so I will order that from 123 Stitch.   
Picked up Dames of the Needle pom pom trim just to have in the stash for when I need it.  
Found these Brenda Gervais....I have a fall broom pattern and the broom.  I can interchange the pieces.  I thought the Sheltering Tree was awfully sweet and had to come home with me.  
I'm taking the Stitching Cruise next summer and thought I would pick up a little scissors and a star detailer.  I don't want to take the scissors Bob got me when were dating, they mean too much to me.  I also have a dololly and don't want to take that but, find it very handy.  The star detailer will fit the bill.  



In Charlotte, where we were staying for the Wedding, we stopped in a yarn shop called the Yarn Garden.  Very cool little, knitting store.  Lots of hand dyed yarn super gorgeous!
A cabinet of sock yarn, the self striping stuff. 


The floor was terrifically uneven and the ceiling was the original tin and beautiful!  Bob found a guy chair in the back.  The owners twin granddaughters were there and leaving for their tap dance recital.  They were so excited and cute!
Got this hand dyed sock yarn and matching mohair.  The owner was working on a chevron pattern out of this type yarn with a Ravelry pattern that looked amazing.  

We popped into a quilt store because I was looking for some wool for finishing projects.  
The brown is actually not a dark brown but, more like DMC 400.
The other piece is a pink houndstooth.  
I got the thimble because when I use the sewing method, I end up with an hole in my middle finger that really can't hurt.  I have tried a lot of thimbles and the stick on patches but, they just don't work for me.  I thought this might do the trick and was only a dollar.  
Had to take a picture of this as we were leaving the North Brance Outing Club.  There is an army base near by and this was just funny!
I hope this was worth the wait.  It was a great weekend. 
I have started on Black Bird Designs She Sights a Bird.  
I may finish it off as a stitching box I picked up at Hobby Lobby.
I have been toying with the idea of sending it to Judy because she was so sweet when to me at the lodge...being the only girl.  
It was a very busy weekend.  I put out another 24 bags of mulch on my flower beds.  Did 20 Memorial Day to help keep the weeds at bay.  Went like nuts yesterday because it was suppose to rain all day Sunday.  It didn't but, its done and now its suppose to get hot.  Its not fun doing that when its hot.  Helped Ed move more stuff to his new apartment.  I put up his shwer curtain. 

That sums it up and need to get some stitching time in before I go to bed. 
Hope you had a wonderful weekend and had some quality stitching time.

Keep on Stitching
Monica

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a great assortment of threads.
    Glad you found your Unicorn!
    I found mine at Lynn's one time.
    It's True Wisdom by Samplar Dames.
    I e-mailed the designer to ask if I could buy it, no answer.
    I asked one time if Lynn's had it, but they didn't.
    Low & behold, they cleaned out the back room and had a big sale one Summer, and there it was, just waiting for me. :)
    And it was less than 1/2 price!! No way I could leave it there! :)
    You found some great stash, and all of that yarn looks so darn pretty.
    They said it was going to rain the last 2 days, and never did, wonder why they can never predict the weather right?
    Have a great week!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading part 3! Good for you on finding your unicorn and you came home with some good stash with the threads, the Shaker box and more. Glad you got your mulch down! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun trip! Interesting to see Stitching Bits and Bobs actually exists! I always read so many comments on message boards about how that shop never ships the orders! Wonder why - it looks like a normal enough shop!

    ReplyDelete