Sunday, January 24, 2021

Eight by Eight Pans

I usually bake on Saturday mornings for breakfast, muffins or something.  
This weekend broke out the vintage Betty Crocker and went back to the standard Coffee Cake recipe and decided to experiment with it.  There are several variations but, I had another idea.  
I had a can of cherry pie filling in the cabinet for cheesecake as needed.  
That required my first 8x8 pan.  It took alot longer to bake the Coffee Cake.  The basic recipe takes 
25-30 minutes.  It took nearly an hour to bake it.  Lot more to bake and I used a streusal recipe from the Blueberry Buckle variation.  
Let me tell you this was amazing.  I also added about 3/4 tsp of almond extract to bump up the cherry flavor.  

It was almost more like a dessert.  I would definately do this 

I used two more 8x8 foil pans for deep dish pizza.  It turned out a little dark, but, still delicious.  Normally I make this in a 9x13 pan however since it was just Bob and I, I got some 8x8 pans so I could freeze one.  I didn't  bake the second one, just parbaked the crust for 4 minutes.  I used the oven temperature recommended on the package of crust mix.  I won't be doing that when I bake the frozen one.  This is the way my mom made pizza when we were growing up.    She got the recipe from the Chicago Trib early in my parents marriage.  It was a cheap dinner to make when they had friends for dinner.  I continue to make pizza this way because I and the family love it.  It was even good with nearly burnt cheese.  I had some leftover for lunch today.   
  
I got my first tree finished on Pet All the Dogs by Teresa Kogut.  This was my Christmas start and I've been working on this since I finished the Red and Green Carnation Sampler.  Time to change to my New Year Start, Martha Dawson from HATS and a SAL.  I have a really hard time doing this.  I should just work on one because I'm kind of a monogomous stitcher.  If that is the case why, haven't I finished Sarah Braizear.....Satin Stitches.  
Once I take a break from Martha, I'll do a day or two of satin stitching.  

Katy texted me a picture of a scarf she is blocking asking me if I made it.  I had no idea.  She had thrown it in a knitting basket when she moved after I asked her to block it.  It sure doesn't look like it did when I knitted it.  It is absolutely gorgeous blocked.  
 

I found the picture in my blog.  It was a free pattern from Crystal Palace.  They have since gone out of business.  I used Mochi.  
Kind of a big difference  Definately needs to be blocked.  How do you even recognize the piece.  

 So while I was straigthening things out, I found this old beat up dresser cloth.  I'm not sure if my grandmother or great-grandmother made this.  It's cut work with a crocheted lace.  There are stains and a few small holes but, I had a great idea to re-purpose it.  I'm going to use the crochet lace in some finishing when I have something I can use it on.  I plan on salvaging the cut work too because it is so beautiful.  
Click on the picture and then you can get a better idea with a close up.  Its a lovely butterfly.  
I think it will be really special to use the crochet lace on a pin pillow or drum.  Its not doing any good folded up in a drawer.  I never knew that great-grandmother but, from what I have heard she was a real character.  My grandmother was very special to me and taught me how to crochet granny squares, quilt a little and bought me my first embroidery floss starting me down the perilous path of becomeing a floss fiend.  
Finally, my work on Martha Dawson.  I've gotten work done on the rosebuds and leaves.  I'm using 100/3 silks.  They are really nice to work with.  I am enjoying working with them very much!

Not much else to report, not much else going on... work and grocery shop.  
I did get some quality stitching time in this weekend.  
Hope you did too.  
Remember:  wear your mask, wash your hands and social distance.  
I'm doing my best.  
Keep on Stitching
Monica

3 comments:

  1. Your cherry coffee cake looks incredible as does the pizza. Your stitching projects are looking good, Monica. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That coffee cake looks delicious, & who doesn't love almost burnt cheese?
    Pet all the dogs is beautiful, love that tree.
    I have some of my Mom's old Christmas tablecloths.
    I was thinking of using some for backing on finishes.
    Have a great week!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your cooking looks so yummy. I never thought of doing pizza that way. What a pretty scarf from your family! I have a few doilies . I just think of the time they took and hate to see them in antique malls for very little.

    ReplyDelete