Sunday, May 6, 2018

Been Very Busy

Since we got back from Traverse City, we have been working our butts off.
We have been working on turning Katy's room in to a real guest room.
Bob has painted the walls and I started to chalk paint some of the furniture:  the bed frame, dresser and a side table I found at The Restore.  .
Let me tell you, chalk painting isn't as easy as they lead you to believe.  
I read stuff on line, and watched videos on Youtube.  
I thought I had this ...boy was I wrong.  
When I first went to Ace Hardware the paint was $36 a quart.  
I figured I would need at least two, maybe three quarts. 
That was more than I wanted to spend.  
One video assured me I could use a less expensive brand.
I went to Walmart and bought the Kilz brand...reputable company, good reviews...checked it out.  
Got the finishing wax since it was a guest room, not heavy use so, could have used that. 
Bob said, "Just get the spray. It will be a lot easier."
There are spray chalklike paint.   
Worked hours painting last Sunday in the garage until I though my feet were going eto fall off. 
While it was wet, I thought, "Cool, I got this,"
Boy was I wrong.
You could see every brush line! No problem one video said, the second coat will fix it 
The next day, once it was completely dry, there were drips. 
Couldn't see them while it was wet.  
Bob said, "You should have used the spray."
So I packed up the unused can of paint and the wax.
Went back to Walmart and exchanged it for the Rustoleum spray.  
It didn't say anything on the can about sealing it, so decided to keep the wax.
Bob sanded the drips smooth and applied two coats of the spray.  
Once it had dried for a day, we tried the wax.
The wax took all the spray paint off!
We only tried it on a side rail of the bedframe.  
Went to back to Ace to talk to the paint lady who wasn't there the first time I went.  
I confessed I had bought a less expensive brand and told her what had happened.  
The Amy Howard brand of spray paint doesn't come off with wax.  
I decided to try the bees wax they had.....took the spray paint off.  
Called Rustoleum to ask if there is a sealer recommendation because the can AND the website didn't indicate anything.  
Yep, got to buy the clear chalk paint sealer, spray to spray, or brush on with brush on etc.  
That does seem to be working.  
The bedframe is done and up and actually turned out good.  
Not going to post pictures until Katy comes home and sees it.  
Overall the room is looking amazing!

Inbetween the paint drama, I finished another piece from the Summer Schoolhouse finishing part two.
Now working on a Christmas present, so can't post that either. 
Got my copy of Hands Across the Sea Sarah Braizear 1829 Sampler.  
This is my first from this designer and it was beautifully printed and packaged!
There's a bookmark with a tassle and thread key with conversion, how handy is that?
To top off the weekend, Bob cooked tonight!
Chicken thigh quarters with root vegetables in the Dutch oven using coals.  
It was Delicious!
I am glad the room redo project is nearly done.  
I forgot to tell you, I boxed up all Katy's stuff that she left and its now in the basement.
Packed eight small moving boxes and four medium boxes and two Rubbermaid containers.
I told her if its there in a year, its going to St. Vincents.

Well I'm pooped and need to do a little stitching.
Haven't had time to do much of that this weekend.
Next weekend, I taking some time off.  

Hope you had a good weekend.
Have a great week!
Keep stitching.
Monica

3 comments:

  1. You HAVE been busy!
    I hope the painting is worth all of your effort!
    The WTNAT piece is so pretty, love the colors in this one.
    Mmmm, chicken!
    Have fun on your time off this week, and don't work too hard!
    Have a great week.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Dutch oven meal looked great. I am sorry the chalk painting created such drama. Congratulations on your stitch finish! I hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That paint job sounds like quite a job. I am glad it turned out for you.

    ReplyDelete